Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Embracing Art and Education


Help us to welcome our newest guest blogger, Nicole Mahan. Originally from Amarillo, Nicole graduated with her bachelor's degree in Art History at the University of Mississippi. She is now pursuing her doctorate at Florida State University. Nicole's perspective as a Panhandle native pursuing a career path with a contemporary art focus seemed a natural fit for the Art:21 project.


When I was first approached about writing for the PBS Panhandle Art:21 blog, I was ecstatic about the opportunity to express my gratitude for the many institutions in Amarillo that have shaped my career as an aspiring art historian. My path towards what sometimes seems to be a never ending cycle of class and research began in the Texas panhandle where I was born and raised. After graduating from Amarillo High School (where I was inspired by Mr. Gary Biggers to study the history of art and music), I entered the University of Mississippi, more lovingly known as Ole Miss, without any idea what field of study I would pursue. My final decision to study art history may have come as a surprise to my family, but in hindsight, my passion for art began from a very early age. I am currently a graduate student at Florida State University in pursuit of my doctorate. I am finishing my Master’s thesis on Krzysztof Wodiczko, a video projection artist featured in season three of Art:21. It has been over fifteen years since I enrolled in my first art class in the museum school at the Amarillo Museum of Art, and I still live and breathe art like I did when I was six years old and enamored by the beautiful colors, inspiring messages, and messy (but uniquely beautiful) art projects I had the chance to create.

While I’ve been pursuing my passion for Contemporary art from coast to coast, my hometown has evolved into a cultural center where artists, students, patrons, and enthusiasts have more access than ever to a vibrant local art scene. The Amarillo Museum of Art has recently exhibited major artists including Chuck Olson, David Levinthal, Grace Hartigan, Ray Howlett, Carol Feuerman, and many others. The galleries at Sunset Center provide an excellent opportunity to support local artists, Third Thursdays at the Amarillo Museum of Art offer educational films and lectures, and local museum and art schools bring a world of creativity to children and adults alike.

The most recent development in the Amarillo art scene, the partnership between KACV and Art:21, gives Amarilloans an easy way to become involved in the local and global art scene. I encourage everyone to take advantage of this opportunity regardless of their prior interest in the arts. The Art:21 DVD series is an excellent way to introduce yourself to the most important artists working in the twenty-first century. No matter what your background or interests are, you can find something inspiring or interesting in either the Art:21 partnership or a local museum or gallery.

I was recently flying back to school from New York City, and a conversation with the man seated next to me made me realize why I feel so strongly about art appreciation. He asked a simple question, “What do art historians study? Do you make art or do you just read about it?” That was when I realized that the vast majority of my art research didn’t even have anything to do with the artist or object I was writing about. I go to the library, my second home, and bounce through the five stories of resources—art on the fourth floor, history and political science on the third, psychology and philosophy on the fifth, and photography and technology inconveniently located in the science library about a twenty minute walk away. And I thought I was studying art…

I tell this story because whether you are an engineer, a teacher, a doctor, a lawyer, a politician, or any variety of other “non-artistic” occupations, you can find something to learn or appreciate in a museum, gallery, or classroom. Even children can learn so much about the world by taking simple art classes at local museums. Not only are the children creating “masterpieces” they can be proud of, they also learn to “read” a picture, to make inferences about what they see hanging on the museum walls, and to ask questions about the context of a work of art. Just take your child to an art museum and have them tell you all about what they see. You will be amazed by the creativity and imagination that a simple painting or sculpture can inspire. While they may not grow up to be the next Cindy Sherman or Damien Hurst, they will learn valuable lessons that will impact the rest of their lives.

While I would love to keep going on about how important it is to become personally involved in supporting your local art community, I should probably return to my own studies that are calling me from my office. In my next blog, I will be writing about an artist who has not only been featured on Art:21, but has also been the focus of my research for the last year, Krzysztof Wodiczko. The Polish-American artist/professor at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology has produced politically and socially-charged video projections on public monuments and architecture in over twelve countries for the last three decades. Until next time, visit a museum, create an art project with your children, or check out the Art:21 KACV blog/facebook page/flickr, and bring some art into your life!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nicole,
    I think I met you last summer at the museum when I was here on an interview for my job. I enjoyed your article and love Wodiczko's work!
    rene'

    ReplyDelete